Bread Bowl Chili
April 18, 2016 | western
• 1/2 pound ground beef
• 1/2 pound ground pork
• 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
• 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
• 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
• 12 hard rolls (about 4-1/2 inches), optional
• Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions and sour cream, optional
1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, chili powder and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Serve in soup bowls or if desired, cut the top fourth off of each roll; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cube removed bread. Spoon chili into bread bowls. Serve with cubed bread,
3. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions and sour cream if desired.
4. Yield: 12 servings.